Unfortunately, the two go hand in hand. Watching your child struggle for air is one of the most scary things ever. She had her first problems with asthma when she was only 6 month old. I have many unpleasant memories of late night emergency visits to hospitals. This past week at 9 1/2, she had an awful attack at (white face & blue lips) and is slowly getting better.
We have been counting our blessing:
- The school nurse is wonderful and recognized Em's asthma "cough" (her typical sign)
- She is on the mend and new meds!
- We just found a new pedi that seems to be very wise about asthma! They are HUGE about prevention
- Dax comes home for Singapore TODAY!
- The rest of the kids colds are getting better. Plus, I actually feel GREAT.... 1st time in months with the chest cold :)
- Asthma for Kids: this site is great to look at with your kids.... plus, it has lots of other kid illnesses!
- Asthma Kids. CA: another great one for kids w/ asthma
- Web MD: a good one for parents
- American Lung Association
~12-3-08: Emma is doing much better and is adjusting well to new preventative meds. We went in for a check-up... she is still scoring low on her peak flow meter but hopfuly we can get that up. She was able to get her flu shot.... YEA! She has not been well enough till now.... this helps me breathe a sigh of relief!!!