Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Aggie Ring

I grabbed the sentence above (& below) from http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/symbols/aggiering.html & NOW I can very seriously say this is TRUE! Wow, what an awesome day....April 16, 2010... my RING DAY! Dax & I got the kids out of school early and drove to Aggieland. It was so much fun...I even had tears in my eyes as Dax slipped the ring on my finger. It was also so special to share some neat traditions with the kids.

I have 2 years till I graduate in the Spring of 2012 but I am a Senior and I worked hard for all those hours. Plus, this is my reminder that I'm gonna do it... I CAN DO IT! Well, I am super proud and had to share a few of my pictures.


The ring worn by all Aggie graduates is the same except for the class year. This serves as a common link for former students. When an Aggie sees the ring on another Aggie's hand, a spontaneous reunion occurs.
The Aggie Ring is one of the most symbolic of our traditions. Everything seen on the ring represents a value that an Aggie should hold. On the top is a large shield, which symbolizes the desire to protect the reputation of the university. The 13 stripes on the shield represent the 13 original states of America. The five stars on the shield refer to the phases of development of any Aggie: mind or intellect; body; spiritual attainment; emotional poise; and integrity of character. The eagle symbolizes agility and power, and the ability to reach great heights.The large star on the side of the ring symbolizes the Seal of Texas. The five-pointed star is encircled with a wreath of olive and laurel leaves symbolizing achievement and a desire for peace. The live oak leaves symbolize the strength to fight for our country and our state. The leaves are joined at the bottom by an encircling ribbon to show the necessity of joining these two traits to accomplish one's ambition to serve.An ancient cannon, a saber, and a rifle are on the other side of the ring and symbolize how citizens of Texas fought for their land and are determined to defend it. The saber stands for valor and confidence, while the rifle and cannon stand for a preparedness and defense. The crossed flags of the United States and Texas recognize an Aggie's dual allegiance to both nation and state.Traditionally, students wear their ring with the class year facing them to signify the fact that their time at A&M is not yet complete. During Senior Weekend at the annual
Ring Dance, the student's ring is turned around to face the world proudly, just as the Aggie graduate will be ready to face the world.


Gig'em!!!


















1 comment:

Poppy said...

awwww...CONGRATULATIONS Beth!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a right to be proud of yourself! What a wonderful tradition. What a wonderful memory and I'm so glad you were all together for the presentation ;)