Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oh, Nuts!

Yesterday, we got some SHOCKING news. Ollie has a peanut allergy (& tree nut). I say shocking because the kid has eaten TONS of peanuts & peanut butter. We went in for allergy testing yesterday because this summer Ollie had Anaphylaxis which left us very scared. I must say that I had a fire lit under me after watching a commercial on TV about the dangers Anaphylaxis. (I wish I could find this video on the web... it really helped to make me aware of the need to be proactive about this situation)
Anyway, we are very overwhelmed because of all the changes that need to take place. The doctor prescribed him an EpiPen to keep around at all times and one for school. I am freaked out that it was another food allergy that caused the Anaphylaxis just because it never happen all the other times he ate peanuts...like last week for lunch. I am actually hearing that this is common though.


Below is a picture of what we thought was an allergy to pine dust on the fort several months ago. I dosed him with benadryl and took him to the eye doctor who gave him anti-histamine drops. This was a few hours after the initial swelling went down.

Below is a picture on the night that we went to the ER and he had the severe reaction. Believe it or not he looks 100% better than when we ran in with him barely breathing.

My favorite Ollie and Jax interaction over the whole thing:
Jax: "Ollie, you won't be able to eat PEANUT BUTTER!"
Ollie: "JAX, BUT I WILL BE ABLE TO BREATHE!"
This whole thing is very scary but I am very glad that we now have a way to help him if there is another emergency.




5 comments:

Holly said...

Oh my gosh! How scary!!! I'm glad you found out what it is and that he's okay.. poor baby!! Miss you tons!
Holly

Hollie Reese said...

That is crazy!!

Jennifer Kelly said...

I'm glad y'all found out what is wrong with him. How scary!!!

Angela Draper said...

I am so sorry to hear that! That is what happens to me when I have milk products. I've had my eyes swell completely shut. No fun. Luckily I can monitor my food well enough that it hasn't happened in about a decade. Here's hoping that your boy doesn't have to use his epi-pen!

Jaclyn M said...

I have a nephew that is extremely allergic to nuts. I have to say that it was a huge adjustment for our entire family. It is hard because nuts are in things you would never imagine. Waffle mixes, cake batters, powdered donuts etc.... I know you have already learned all this by now, but best of luck to you :)