Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Career Day




This morning I sent a Chef, Illustrator, and a race car driver off to elementary school! They were so cute deciding what they want to be when the grow up. One of my oldest kept asking all sorts of questions about how much this makes and that makes. She was also very direct to tell her Daddy that she did not want to do what he does because he travels TOO MUCH. Funny.... he and I think he hardly travels. She decided to do what she loves which is draw..... of course she had to give it in her mind a distingushed title..... illustrator! She does love to read and draw...a great fit I think. The chef....well she is a mathmetician and loves to cook....PERFECT FIT!!! Plus, she loves to put a smile on your face and cooking for others seems an easy way to accomplish this. Well, the race car driver..... he loves to make my heart skip a few beats. He thought of fireman seriously! Also, He wants to be a daddy....JUST LIKE HIS DAD!!!!
Sending my beautiful babes off this morning, I thought back to all the times my own mother sent me off to school dressed for the future. I REALLY remember thinking, "I will be a mother!"....it was the one constant. I had a dream of being an astronaut for NASA. I would be a pilot for the Air Force and then go on to fly in space. THEN I went on a plane ride at about 9 (not my first).... my ears were in terrible pain. Tears streamed uncontrollably down my face. I have alway had ear problems and this was my first plane ride without tubes. Unfortunately, many plane rides to folow would be just as painful. So my Career Day outfit quickly changed.... I love babies.... I will be a mommy and a teacher! I know shocking :) As I got older I became less and less certain of what I wanted to be when I grew up. Something around art..... maybe....
Well heck, here I am almost 31 and Career Day is making me think about how I am dressing today.... runner, playmate, medical transport (taking a kid to the dr), laundry folder, cook.....oh and blogger ;)

2 comments:

Dax said...

You forgot counselor, cheerleader, inspirational guide, among other things. Thanks for filling so many roles.

Anonymous said...

Beth, When I was balancing a career and raising children I read a quote by Jackie Kennedy "If you mess up raising your kids then, nothing else you do really much matters." It is so nice to read about the joy you experience being a mom.
Your mom's Michigan friend, Anna